Monday, January 17, 2011

El Primer Dia

Happy MLK day everyone! The first time I've ever had class on this day. Today's my busiest day classwise, with Women in Contemporary Spain, Linguistics and Spanish Conversation on the menu. There's an interesting practice of having 2 periods of the same class in one day here, so I actually went to my Women class twice and I'm now done with that for the week. My other 2 classes are The Art of Reading Literary Texts and Folklore of the Iberian Peninsula. (I feel like a freshman all over again taking all these random classes!)

The top floor of the Fundación (the school) has an observatory-like room with huge windows on all sides that open to an amazing view of old Toledo. We're hoping to catch a few sunsets by the end of the semester. Here's what it looks like during the day:

Holy Toledo!





The beautiful weather (50+ degrees, baby!) made the weekend perfect for exploring the winding streets, the plaza de Zocodover and el río Tajo. All the bars we've come across are quite small (maybe so they always seem crowded?) but lots of fun. Saturday night we spent most of the night at O'Brien's Irish pub (yes, I see the irony) and ended up getting some really good information from the bartender about where to go in Ireland.

The Internet is pretty spotty here. Our entire floor is having trouble getting any connection for more than a few minutes. I'll be sure to put up many more pictures when I have a slightly better connection. But for now I'll leave you with one more of my new cultural experiences.

The "weird urinal" in my bathroom is actually a bidet!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty sure there was an O'Briens Irish Pub in Vienna as well when we were there! Irish pubs are just everywhere...

    Glad to hear everything's going well so far, CC girl! When you get back the WK will have to go out for drinks (since I missed your birthday party). We'll all be 21 by then!

    ReplyDelete