Saturday, January 22, 2011

Real Talk

I've decided to take a relaxing Saturday night in as I'm fresh out of euros and I'm hoping to finally get a decent internet connection.

The first week of classes went well. Listening to nothing but Spanish for a full day is surprisingly exhausting, but all the professors here do a great job of speaking slowly and clearly for all of us internacionales. My use of Spanglish is at an all time high, both in conversation and in my thought process. I'm thinking that's a good sign. My week is done at 11 on Thursdays so that should make for some convenient weekend trips in the future. Our first trip is next weekend, to Madrid. We have a school sponsored day trip planned but we've all booked rooms in a hostel for the weekend. I'll share pictures.

We've spent a few nights out exploring Toledo's nightlife. The fact that they usually don't start until about midnight is still difficult, since by that time my bed sounds just like just as good a place to hang out on a Saturday as a bar does. We're starting to meet a few locals, mostly bar owners. I'm sure they love us because euros still seem a bit like play money and therefore easy to spend... I'm guessing that will change after I buy my first plane ticket.

I feel like I'm starting to get into the actual transition phase of the semester. While I'm so excited to be experiencing everything I have been, I'm also starting to realize I'm not just here for a weeklong vacation, and am starting to miss things I wouldn't have thought much about at home. Chipotle, ranch dressing (those will be on my mind anywhere in the world), Dr. Pepper, the size of my shower, my box spring, thick walls, and milk are all popping into my head without explanation... and it's only been a week.

We took a hike down to the Rio Tajo today, which is right outside the walls of the city. I can't imagine living your whole life in a place so beautiful.








My goals for the week are to plan at least one weekend trip, finally try actual restaurant tapas, and hopefully get my parents up and running with skype. I fully anticipate making them hold my cats up to the computer so I can chat with them too.

2 comments:

  1. Looks beautious! I will eat enough ranch dressing for the both of us...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss chipotle and DP aswell :( Toledo looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete